Before you even think about a trip to Pet Helpers to pick out a new puppy, it’s important to make sure your home is safe for your new addition by puppy proofing your home.
Secure your Trash: Trash cans with a secure lid are a must in every room of your home including the kitchen and all bathrooms. Rummaging through the trash is a favorite puppy activity which can lead to ingesting something toxic or swallowing an object that can block the airway or lodge in the gut.
Keep bags out of sight: Those purses, gym bags and pack packs contain quite a few temptations that can pose a threat to your fur baby. Candy, gum and even hand creams can be toxic to dogs so store those bags in a closet or on a very high hook.
Clear out the house plants: There is an exhaustive list of poisonous plants available on the ASPCA website. Consumption of any plant material may cause vomiting and gastrointestinal distress in animals so so keep all plants well out of your pet’s reach.
Lock up your chemicals: Household cleaners, glue, yard and automotive chemicals need to be properly secured in puppy proofed cabinet or a very high shelf. Safety caps cannot withstand sharp puppy teeth.
Protect your drugs: Human medications are the most common source of accidental pet poisoning. Be sure to stash your meds in a drawer or a cabinet and that you dispense pills and liquids over a sink in case of spills.
A space of their own: A crate, pen or a designated space in a room is essential for creating a place that your pup can go to or be contained in when left alone.
Contain cords: Protect your new puppy from accidental shock or strangulation by containing all those electric cords, phone charges and power cables.
Close doors and windows: Don’t give your puppy an escape route or worse a falling hazards. Secure the cords of blinds and shades so that so they won’t get caught around the puppy’s neck.
Store small items out of reach. Jewelry, paper clips, coins and other small items pose a choking hazard to any animal. Ditto for the remote controls, key fobs or any other items containing a battery. A swallowed battery can cause burns to the soft tissue inside your pet’s esophagus on the way down.
Keep the lid down: You really don’t want your puppy drinking out of the toilet, since that tongue will most likely be licking you next. You definitely don’t want him falling in either.
Mr. H says: The best therapist is covered in fur and has four legs-Enjoy!